- Enter user name: NBM_KBB for Kitchen & Bath Business
- Enter password: NBMuser01 (case sensitive)
- Complete the job ticket and attach your PDF/X1-a:2001 file(s) and hit the Send button.
- Please allow for file(s) to complete processing.
- Provide a SWOP proof along with the insertion order and ship to production contact.
- File naming: Publication abbreviation, issue date and ad name.
- Example: KBB_1109_Emeraldexpoadservices.pdf
- Do not exceed 50 characters in the naming convention.
- When sending a revised file, include _REV at the end of the file name and contact the production manager to alert of the revised submission.
- Example: KBB_1109_Emeraldexpoadservices_REV.pdf
Files may also be provided via CD or DVD in Macintosh format: Enclose a copy of the insertion order and label the media with the following: Magazine name, issue date, advertiser, agency name, contact name and phone and file name/number. We do not return CDs.
Ad materials are to be supplied as digital files in the preferred PDF/X-1a:2001 format.
To match the color expectations of our advertisers, Emerald Expositions requires the PDF/X-1a:2001 file format and a SWOP proof
for each ad submitted. Advertiser/agency accepts full responsibility for reproduction variations between the digital file and the printed
image for ads submitted in non-preferred formats. Non-adherence to the preferred format may necessitate production fees. Emerald Expositions is not responsible for making corrections to supplied files.
Customer-supplied digital files and SWOP proofs will be retained for up to three months following publication date and then destroyed
unless otherwise requested in writing.
Adherence to the following guidelines in application file preparation will aid in successful file conversion:
- Create ad layouts in a professional desktop publishing program such as Adobe InDesign® or QuarkXPressTM.
- Create one PDF/X-1a:2001 file per ad or ad page; spread ads may be submitted as a single file.
- Orientation: Set native application files in portrait mode at 100% with no rotations.
- Color: Define all colors as CMYK process. Unintended spot color and or Pantone colors must be converted to CMYK process.
RGB, LAB and ICC based colors are not allowed. Black & white images should be saved as single channel black only before
placing them into the page. Nested grayscale or nested single channel black may become 4/C when printed. Delete any
- Images: Must be high resolution SWOP-compliant with a resolution of 300dpi for CMYK and 1200dpi for black & white images.
OPI selections should be turned off. Do not nest EPS files within other EPS files. Save images in TIFF or EPS format, with no
embedded color management profiles.
- Total area density for color images should not exceed SWOP standard of 300%.
- All ads must be created to bleed specification with crops (printer marks) set at trim dimensions and placed outside the bleed
area. Bleed must extend 1/8" beyond trim. Keep live matter a minimum of 3/8" from trim edge.
- Type: Fonts must be embedded. Use Postscript Type 1, Open Type or TrueType fonts only. Text containing thin lines, serifs or
small lettering should be restricted to one color.
- Layers within the document file must be flattened. Opacity — all objects, artwork or effects in the document should be set at a
maximum of 99 percent before flattening layers.
- Generation of acceptable PDF/X-1a:2001 files is done by the output of a Postscript file (.ps) which is then distilled through
Adobe Acrobat Distiller using the PDF/X-1a:2001 setting to avoid font, transparency and layering issues. It is recommended that the
PDF file be certified PDF/X-1a:2001 using a PDF preflight utility like Adobe Acrobat Professional (version 6 or higher) or
- Direct export option out of Adobe InDesign® CS3 or later and/or QuarkXPressTM 7.0 or later can be utilized as long as the
PDF/X-1a:2001 setting is used.
A SWOP certified proof is required for all color ads. Proofs must be representative of the supplied file at actual size and display a
printer's color control bar. Alternative proofing formats will be used for content only. Visit www.swop.org for a complete list of
current certified proofing options. When calling for spot color (Pantone) usage on press, clearly indicate such on the supplied
E-mailed ad submissions are acceptable via www.wetransfer.com. For more information regarding these specifications or email address, contact Production Manager, Terri Hill, at 770.291.5481 / email@example.com