Beko & Blomberg Provide Energy-Efficient Appliances for Seven Houses in 2017 Solar Decathlon
September 14, 2017
With its sponsorship of the U.S. Department of Energy Solar Decathlon 2017, Beko, the European freestanding appliance brand just introduced into the North American market, and Blomberg, a line of contemporary European design and energy-efficient products, are going the distance to help accelerate the adoption of energy-efficient products and design in American homes.
The collegiate competition takes place in Denver on Oct. 5-9 and 12-15 and challenges the 12 participating university teams to design and build full-size, solar-powered houses. The winner is the team that best blends design excellence and smart energy production with innovation, market potential and energy and water efficiency.
Beko is sponsoring four university teams/homes, including:
- University of Maryland – reACT is a prototype for a “house as a kit of parts” design concept; the home will include a Beko refrigerator, dishwasher and compact washer/dryer.
- Missouri University of Science and Technology – SILO (Smart Innovative Living Oasis) will feature a Beko refrigerator, range, dishwasher and compact washer/dryer.
- Northwestern University – House targeting baby-boomer couple, close to retirement; the home will display a Beko refrigerator, range, microwave, dishwasher and compact washer/dryer.
- University of California at Berkeley and University of Denver – RISE, a stackable solution for urban infill, will showcase a Beko refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher and compact washer/dryer.
Blomberg has sponsored these homes:
- University of Alabama at Birmingham – At the heart of surviv(AL) is a composite and steel “strong room” that extends below the level of the house’s subfloor; the home will include a Blomberg refrigerator, range, microwave and dishwasher.
- Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and Daytona State College – The BEACH (Building Efficient, Affordable, and Comfortable Homes) House will include a Blomberg refrigerator, cooktop, built-in wall oven, dishwasher and compact, stacking washer/dryer.
- Washington University – St. Louis – The single precast concrete structure, intended as a demonstration of integrated advanced building technology, will include a Blomberg dishwasher, cooktop, built-in wall oven and compact stacking washer/dryer.
The Solar Decathlon, which will host approximately 90,000 visitors over the nine days, is an intensive learning experience for consumers and homeowners as they experience the latest technologies and materials in energy-efficient design, clean energy technologies, smart home solutions, water conservation measures, electric vehicles and sustainable buildings.
At the 2017 Sustainability Expo running concurrently with the Solar Decathlon, Beko and Blomberg will have displays showcasing their space-saving appliances, as well as their innovative heat pump dryer technology, which made the Environmental Protection Agency’s 2017 ENERGY STAR Most Efficient list for using 50 percent less energy than conventional dryers. The heat pump dryer uses a closed-loop heat exchange system to dry at lower temperatures.
“Everything we do as a brand is centered around sustainability and innovation,” said Hasan Yardimci, president, Beko US Inc. “Our support of the Solar Decathlon is in keeping with our commitment to provide consumers with products that are both good for the globe and support their everyday needs.”
June 25, 2018 | Business
SieMatic Introduces Kitchen Design Boutique in San Francisco