Kohler Co. Releases 2022 ESG Report
July 17, 2023
Kohler Co. released its 2022 Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) report with key metrics of the company’s Believing in Better philosophy outlining ambitions and progress across environmental sustainability; diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) and social impact initiatives.
“Over the past year, we made substantial progress advancing Kohler’s environmental sustainability, DEI and social impact strategies,” said David Kohler, chair and CEO, Kohler Co. “We established targets for relevant Scope 3 emissions, conducted a climate risk assessment and continued to innovate new products that conserve water and materials. We increased investment in Kohler WasteLAB to advance the company’s circularity strategy and acquired businesses like Heila Technologies and Curtis Instruments to strengthen our clean energy offerings.”
In 2022, Kohler intensified the operationalization of its environmental practices around energy, water and waste; continued to advance its diversity hiring; engaged more associates to give back to their communities; and expanded programs and partnerships that positively impact lives through arts, education, health and well-being support. Highlights from the 2022 report include:
- GHG, water and waste intensity reductions: Achieved 16% reduction in GHG emissions, 10% reduction for water, and 23% reduction in waste, respectively.
- Global operational energy use intensity reduction: Saw a 41% reduction since 2008, an increase from 30% in 2021.
- Water savings and products: Contributed 88 billion gallons of water saved in 2022, and over 560 billion gallons saved since 2007, with Kohler WaterSense-labeled products.
- Diverse hiring: Exceeded 2022 goal for diverse hiring with 53% of new hires, permanent and exempt, in the U.S. representing diverse backgrounds.
- Associate engagement: Hosted more than 300 associate-led global community engagement activities, up from 80 in 2021, and increased the number of Business Resource Groups (BRGs) available to associates to 10 – including Bold Ability (creating a disability friendly workplace) and ARK (Asian Resources of Kohler).
- Lives impacted: Positively impacted more than 1 million lives in 2022 and more than 17.1 million since 1990 through Kohler Safe Water for All, educational and arts and industries programs.
“We’re proud of the progress we’ve made to bring more innovative, inclusive and environmentally sustainable solutions to more people, in addition to providing safe water and sanitation for communities that lack equitable access,” said Laura Kohler, chief sustainability and DEI officer. “Our passionate associates and leadership are integrating our ‘Believing in Better’ philosophy into business strategies and operations, which generates ideas and actions for improvement across the organization.”
In 2022, Kohler also expanded its efforts to promote energy resiliency and resource conservation, as well as innovations in renewable and clean energy solutions.
- Kohler Kitchen and Bath continued to lead in U.S. EPA WaterSense-labeled offering by certifying 85 new products across toilets, bathroom faucets and showerheads.
- Continued expansion of global EPD and Declare label product transparency offerings.
- The company’s in-house innovation incubator for products with a social purpose, Innovation for Good, launched a porcelain pour flush toilet (Kohler Rinse) for communities without access to piped water and electricity.
- Kohler’s subsidiary Mira launched HeatCapture, which is a double-wall, stainless-steel heat exchanger to help specifiers and new build developers in the UK comply with new reduced emissions regulations.
- Meanwhile, Kohler’s Clarke Energy was part of a consortium that won the 2022 Water Breakthrough Challenge sponsored by Ofwat to support the demonstration of an innovative carbon capture and conversion system at the Severn Trent wastewater treatment site in England.
- Additionally, Kohler partnered with Polar explorer Robert Swan on his excursion through Antarctica to the Geographic South Pole where he relied only on renewable energy sources. Kohler equipped him with a customized KOHLER generator that utilized a KOHLER diesel engine fueled by hydrotreated vegetable oil (HVO). The off-grid sustainable system provided the energy needed to operate Swan’s base camp and provide battery charge to his mobile equipment.
To read more on Kohler’s progress and impact, you can access the 2022 ESG Report here.
September 28, 2023 | Trends & Inspirations
An In-Depth Look at the Surfaces in Today’s Kitchens and Baths
September 28, 2023 | Business
Ferguson Sponsors WiPP — Women in Plumbing and Piping