Dunn-Edwards Paints Announces Influential Colors of 2016
January 26, 2016
After careful examination of color trends in modern fashion, lifestyle and culture, color expert Sara McLean from Dunn-Edwards Paints forecasts influential paint hues that will be popular in home design this year.
McLean predicts that roses and pinks will continue to influence and become more sophisticated and less juvenile. She’s observed the soft blushing pinks infused in recent fashion, makeup and even automotive designs. Minimal Rose (DE 5015) is a playful and modern pink that pairs well with other pastels for a retro vibe.
“Another harmonious pairing would be with blues and gray for a Scandinavian influence,” says McLean. “Try rose pink with a warm neutral for a traditional, more vintage color palette.”
Several companies that predicted which color will be hot in 2016 also chose a color in the pink family, including Pantone. McLean sees beyond a single “color of the year,” however.
“I believe that the combination of colors tell the story,” she says. “It’s about the entire palette and how a collection of colors evokes a feeling, an era or a scene.” Other colors that will be influential in home design include:
• Reds leaning darker toward burgundy and Bordeaux
• Oranges trending toward grapefruit, bright corals and softened peach tones
• Yellow taking on acidity with greenish tones
• Prevalent blues like turquoise, deep indigo, navy and periwinkle
• Warm neutrals moving toward infusions of coffee, caramel, chocolate and honey
• Cool neutrals show colored grays with the blending of green, blue or smoke
• Newest neutrals are warm with undertones of red, earthy hues
Trendy pairings include:
• Fresh and fruity pastel combinations
• Deep blues contrasted by stark whites for a classic, modern palette
• Rainbow coloring, color blocking, flecked and speckled coloring and abundant floral patterns